On a list of my favor topics, tacos tops the list. I love making them, having total control of toppings, the order in which the toppings are placed on the tortilla, the ratio of each one, browning the cheese onto the tortilla, but above all, the meat needs to be worthy to sit in the tortilla (I know, I sound dramatic, but we are talking tacos people).
Here is a easy and delicious recipe for chipotle pulled chicken made in an Instant Pot (you can easily use a slow cooker, just cook for 6-8 hours)
1.5 pounds of boneless chicken thighs
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (this is a common one found in most grocery stores)
2 tablespoons of adobo sauce
1 can of chopped tomatoes (13.5 oz can)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 yellow onion, sliced very thin
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of salt & pepper
Method of the Instant Pot:
- Set IP to the sauté setting and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Once the oil is shimmering add the sliced onion and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken, spices, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Stir to mix well, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- Place lid on the IP, change setting to MANUAL pressure (high), and set for 7 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to SEAL.
- After the seven minutes (it will beep and automatically go to ‘keep warm’) turn IP off and manually release the steam (be careful, use a long wooden spoon to open the valve).
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour the contents of the pot through a fine mesh strainer. Put liquid back in the pot (and add whatever is in the strainer to the bowl of chicken) and set IP to sauté to reduce down the liquid. Cook until reduced by half.
- Using two forks, pull chicken apart to break it up. Add back to the pot once liquid is cooked down.
Ready to serve with corn tortillas or just over some rice!
2 Comments Add yours
Loved your tasty recipe 🙂
Sounds fantastic! Will definitely try.