Well it is Sunday and that means one thing; I spend a ridiculous amount of time in the kitchen prep cooking for the week ahead. Over the coming weeks I will share with you some of my easy, make-ahead dishes and quick tasks you can do to set yourself up for an easy and healthy week of eating. By putting in a few hours on Sunday, you free up more time during the week when roasting Brussels sprouts is not the first thing you want to do after a long day at work. Here is what I did today…
Let’s fast-forward to the end of the week when you inevitably have left-overs taking up valuable fridge space and even more valuable glass containers. I will toss any left over veggies in a pre-heated pan with a little bacon fat (my cooking fat of choice these days) along with any protein I have left over (throw in any rice or potatoes you have hanging around). The British have a name for this dish, Bubble & Squeak. Traditionally this is done with the left-overs from a Sunday Roast (I’ll cover this when the temperature drops). I was a huge fan of this dish when I was living in England and love doing my own take on it whenever I have the opportunity….The lesson here is left-overs do not have to be boring. I find that if reconstituted right they are often better than the original dish.
Today’s ‘Bubble & Squeak’ was ‘fancy brunch’ worthy (if you ask me)….Brussles sprouts, fingerling potatoes, bacon, haddock and baby spinach topped with two eggs gloriously basted in bacon fat. Needless to say I make sure to save some veggies for the end of the week so I can make some randomly delicious concoction for myself. This one certainly tops the list.
- Roughly chop the veggies and meat you are using in the bubble & squeak.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high and add cooking fat (bacon fat is preferred)
- Add meat and veggies and cook, creating a nice golden crust on the veggies.
- If you want to add some more greens toss in some baby spinach or kale at the last minute and toss to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper, hot sauce (whatever you want!)
- Transfer to a dish.
- Add more bacon fat to the skillet and heat.
- Crack eggs into skillet and cook gently; tilting pan to baste the yolks with the hot bacon fat.
- Serve over the Bubble & Squeak
Tuck in! (this is British for Dig in!)